How To Write An Effective CV
The Curriculum Vitae (CV) and resume are used to apply for jobs, internships, scholarships, and grants, among other things. They demonstrate your qualifications, skills, and professional experience.
THE KEY DIFFERENCES BETWEEN A CV AND A RESUMEHOW Tow Write An Effective CV
- A resume is a one-pager document, but a CV can be two pages long or as lengthy as needed to capture all of the necessary information.
- A resume is usually tailored to a specific job, but a CV may be used for a variety of purposes.
- In essence, a resume provides a quick summary of yourself and highlights the important skills and experiences you have that are relevant to the position you are pursuing, whereas a CV provides a more detailed description of yourself, your experience, and other relevant information.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Your CV also serves as a summary of all of your significant professional achievements. As a result, don’t make it overly long and complicated, as recruiters and hiring managers are dealing with hundreds, if not thousands of applications and applicants.
In this article we will be covering how to create a flawless and successful curriculum vitae (CV) by breaking down the training into parts and phases for simple comprehension and absorption in this post.
A curriculum vitae is a concise summary of your education, qualifications, experience, and, in some cases, aspiration. A CV is used to apply for jobs, scholarships, internships, fellowships, grants, appointments, and other opportunities.
CONTENTS OF A QUALITY CV
- Contact Informations
- Profile Summary
- Skills and Competencies
- Key Achievement
- Educational Background (Highest Education, Institution, & Date)
- Work Experience (can Include NYSC, Internship and volunteering work experience)
- Extra curriculum Activities
- Professional Activities ( conference attended, fellowship experience, conference presentation, workshop attended and presentations)
- Training and Certification
- Honors and Awards (Academic Award, work award, special awards and recognitions)
- Publications and research.
RELEVANCE AND USES OF A CV
- To secure a job
- To apply for scholarships, grants, internships, appointments and awards
FORMAT OF A CV
There is no one-size-fits-all structure for a CV; any format that encapsulates the necessary information and is attractively organized you may incorporate some colors.
A GOOD C.V. EXAMPLE
Please remove non-essential personal information such as sex, date of birth, religion, marital status, nationality, and state of origin unless the organization you’re sending your CV to specifically requests it; otherwise, all of this information is irrelevant and will only take up space that could be used for more useful information.
An illustration of your contact details
ABDULLATEEF LAWAL 0GH, Ibrahim Taiwo Road, Kaduna, Kaduna State, +2347069657660,
SUMMARY OF PROFILE
Your professional summary should be a concise description of your professional orientation, concentration, and future goals.
A sample summary of a profile
With six years of experience in the non-profit sector and a strong interest in volunteerism, leadership, social enterprise, and civic engagement, Abdullateef is a research-oriented capacity builder. An expert in statistical data analysis, interpretation, report writing, and the development and execution of new initiatives. Committed to generating jobs, reducing poverty, and promoting education, gender equality, and peaceful coexistence through perseverance and persistence.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
Your skills and Competencies should be in bullet points, and should include relevant skills such as: • Problem solver • Microsoft office • Interpersonal skills • Organization skills. • Excel sheet. • Report writing. • Graphics design. • Team player
• Critical thinker. • Power Point • Perseverance
Examples of Skills and Competencies
Your key achievement should highlight an achievement you’re peculiarly proud about, these doesn’t necessarily need to be something big, it might what you achieved as a student, a volunteer, or even on personal level.
Example of Key Achievement
Led a team of 5 youths that successfully trained 1,000 youths on digital marketing.
It is important to note that your primary and secondary School certificate are irrelevant in your CV except if they are your highest qualification. Your Education qualifications should be highlight your highest educational qualifications. This should include the institution you attended and the date you attain the certificate.
Example of Educational Qualification
- M.sc Chemistry (In view) National Defense Academy 2020
- B.Sc Chemistry University of Ilorin 2011-2015
PROFESSIONAL WORK EXPERIENCE
Your professional work experience can be your volunteering experience, internship experience, IT experience and National Youth Service Corps work experience among others.
It is important to note most organization are looking out for applicants experience, and it doesn’t matter if you’ve worked with Google, United Nations or world bank, what matters in your professional experience is what have you done or achieved during these experiences. List your key role and achievements. Don’t just write name of the organization/company, the positions you held and date, no, include the details of your role.
Example of Professional (work) experience
Please ensure your experience are tailored to the role you’re applying for.
Writing your extra curriculum may not be necessary if you don’t have any, meanwhile your extra curriculum can be other things you do that are relevant to the job you’re applying for, it may include your volunteering experience with both local and international organization, it may be include your personal volunteering work among others.
Your professional activities are professional workshop, training, conference and convention you attended, it may include fellowship programs you participated in.
Example of Professional Activities
- Fellow at Leap Africa Social Innovators Programme and Award
- Alumni at Global Startup Ecosystem
- Alumni at YALI RLC West Africa
- Alumni at Facebook sponsored Fate foundation Aspiring entrepreneur
- Alumni: Because International, United States “Pursuit Incubator” 2020 spring cohort.
- Alumni: Startup sandbox incubator program cohort 1
- Alumni: Islamic Cooperation Youth Forum (ICYF) Volunteering Training
- Alumni: Enterprise Development Center Agroheck Challenge
- Alumni: Green Crescent Turkey and ICYF volunteers Against Addiction
- Alumni: This week Design against covid-19
TRAINING AND CERTIFICATE
The training and Certificate are the professional trainings and course you have attended, they are but not limited to online training, short courses among others.
AWARDS AND HONORS
Here you’re expected to list the awards and recognition you have received, no award or recognition is too small.
PUBLICATION AND RESEARCH
Here you’re expected to list your publications and researches
This article shall be updated