Deadline: 31st December, 2020
The NIW Innovation Challenge provides the opportunity for early stage startups to get recognition and be rewarded as the Most Promising Startups of 2021. The NIW Innovation Challenge started in 2017 as the NIWStartups.
The Nairobi Innovation Challenge 2020 focusses on five thematic areas based on Kenya’s Big Four Agenda. They however take a broader view of the different sectors, namely:
- Manufacturing: This category focusses on any startups involved in the any aspect of the manufacturing sector from carrying out manufacturing activities to providing support to manufacturing enterprises.
- Food Security: This category seeks startups involved anywhere along the value chain from farm to plate. These could especially focus on post-harvest losses, improved production, access to cheaper inputs, better storage facilities, and so on.
- Affordable Housing: Participation in this category is limited only by your imagination. Housing ranges from the brick and mortar aspects, to financing models of construction and for ownership.
- Health: Are you a startup involved in any part of the health sector? If so this is your category. This includes software applications, health care products, health services, training in health, among others.
- Cross-Cutting: The last category is looking for all other startups that do not belong in any of the above categories, but are cross-cutting in that they could be in support all. These could include startups involved in FinTech, transport, the environment, energy, and so on.
During the application process you will need to select ONE of the thematic areas.
Details required will include:
- Start-up Name (you must be registered)
- Name of CEO (basically the person in charge)
- Contact details (Phone, address, email, website)
- In business since
- Average gross annual revenue
ABOUT YOUR PRODUCT/SERVICE
Brief written descriptions (max 100 words each) shall be requested as follows:
- What is the problem you are addressing?
- What is your solution?
- What is your business model?
- What impact will your product or service have?
JUDGE AWARD FOR TOP STARTUP IN EACH CATEGORY
- CASH PRIZES
- Solutions Oriented Needs Assessment (SONA) + follow up workshop, courtesy of Afribusiness LLP (Value Ksh 250,000)
- All awards under all applicants and Top 20 startups
PEOPLES AWARDS FOR TOP STARTUP IN EACH CATEGORY
- CASH PRIZES
AWARDS FOR TOP 20 STARTUPS
- One-Day pitching training, courtesy ABSA Bank
- Two-Day Capacity Building Training, courtesy University of Nairobi and Partners.
- Solutions Oriented Needs Assessment (SONA) Courtesy of Afribusiness LLP(Value Ksh 50,000)
- 70% Discount on the cost to Exhibit at the NIW Innovation Exhibition (March 10-12, 2021)
- All awards under “All Applicants”
AWARDS FOR ALL APPLICANTS
- Digital Business Planner, courtesy of Afribusiness LLP (Value Ksh 10,000)
- Open to Kenyan citizen
- Startup must be legally registered
- Previous NIW pitch winners are not eligible
For more information, visit the official webpage of Nairobi Innovation Challenge 2020