Definition: Detergent is non-soap cleaning agent that is used to remove dirt in cloths, surfaces, and mostly especially a synthetic surfactant. There are two forms of detergents: Powdered detergents and liquid detergent. Both types of detergent make use of the some chemicals; but the difference lies in the fact that one is oil based while the other is water based.
MATERIALS NEED FOR MAKING POWDERED DETERGENT
There are several materials that are used for making detergent which includes;
- Caustic soda
- Light soda ash
- Palm kernel oil
- Sodium sulphate
- Hydrogen perioxide
FUNCTIONS OF THE CHEMICALS
- Hydrogen peroxide: acts as catalyst in facilitating the rate of the reaction by transforming the mixture into powder
- Ammonia solution: its work synergistically with hydrogen peroxide in transforming the mixture into powder
- Sulphonic acid solution: act as a forming agent and as an anti-aging agent for the skin.
HOUSEHOLD FORMULATION FOR DETERGENT MAKING
- Caustic soda (2 tin of milk)
- Light soda ash (1 milk tin)
- Palm kernel oil ( 6 tin of milk )
- Kaolin oil (1/6 milk tin)
- Sodium sulphate (1/8 milk tin)
- Hydrogen peroxide (1/3 milk tin)
- Ammonia solution (1/2 milk tin)
- Colorant and Perfume.
ALSO READ: How To Produce Soya Milk From Scratch
- Measuring cup
- 2 plastic bowls (with covers)
- Mixing sticks
- And Stove and pot
- Pour the caustic soda into one of the rubber bowl.
- Add 6 milk tin of water and stir thoroughly; cover and keep aside for 48 hours.
- Pour the light soda ash, Kaolin oil and sodium sulphate into the second bowl and add 4 milk tin of water, Stir thoroughly, and cover it up for 24 hours.
- Pour the palm kernel oil in a separate pot and place it on fire, add the colour pigment and heat properly, then remove and allow to before pouring into the bucket.
- Pour cooled mixture into the fermented caustic soda gradually while stirring the mixture with the mixing stick.
- Gradually add the fermented soda ash as you continue with the stirring. Alongside, add sulphonic acid, hydrogen perioxide and ammonia solution as the stirring continues
- Finally, add the perfume and stir thoroughly for about 5 minutes for proper blending of the chemicals and keep the mixture aside for 5 hours to set properly.
- After 5 hours, spread the mixture in the sun to allow drying.
- Pour the dried mixture in the grater and grind properly and careful finally package the product and your powdered detergent is ready.
ALSO READ: BAR SOAP MAKING