Plantain is a major source of food in many regions throughout Nigeria and sub-saharan Africa, it can be grown and processed profitably in Nigeria.
Plantain can be used for domestic consumption or as a source of raw material by processing it into other form. Nigeria is the largest producer of plantain in West Africa. The price is relatively cheap and easily accessible, it’s found abundantly in Anambra, Bayelsa, Edo, Ekiti, Enugu, Imo, Ogun, Osun, Oyo and Lagos states of Nigeria.
- Mature Unripe Plantain
- Milling machine
- Firstly, inspect and remove the unsuitable plantains such as ripped plantain, rotten plantain and the likes.
- This follow by bleaching the plantain this is done by soaking the plantain in hot water for few minutes to soften the skin for easy peeling.
- This is followed by slicing the plantain using plantain slicer, mechanical slicer or knife.
- The next step is drying; the sliced plantain is dried in short time with the aid of industrial drier or sun drying.
- This is followed by milling, grinding the dried slice plantain and sieving to obtain the desire particle size.
The last stage is packaging.
Note: Plantain flour food is prepared just as you prepare your “Semo, Amala and Tuwo”. It is highly nutritious and recommended for diabetic patient